Inception - Reflection Question Answers

1. Cobb and his team specialize in manipulating someone's thoughts or dreams to extract or plant ideas and information. Discuss the different ways you see information manipulated in the world around you. How does the control of information impact perception/reality?

My answer - One way information is manipulated is through news media and social media. Both are defined as truth and penetrate our emotional and mental capabilities. News can be overwhelming when we hear reports about crime, social issues, another country's leader and what they "believe" about our country, and overall rumors that can ruin the lives of even the nicest of people. When someone is told either a truth or a lie about someone they may not know, their perception of that person may change because of the information they were given. Reality can be effected too, for, let's say, someone was told that their father passed away when they were young, and in reality, their father was perfectly fine, but never wanted to be in that person's life. That is an example of how someone's reality can be altered for someone else's advantage.



Inception-inspired coffee table bends reality (and a city) in your ...



2. According to current psychological research, it appears that sensory information can make its way into our dreams. Is this fact accurately portrayed in the movie?

My answer - I do believe the act of sensory information making its way into our dreams is accurately depicted in this movie. For example, the first time Ariadne goes into a dream state (along with Cobb), she is able to see and feel the streets of Paris for which she walks to school on. She is also unable to realize she is in a dream until Cobb explains the whole process to her.

APRIL 20-24 QUESTION ~ What do Mal's continuous appearances in Cobb's dreams symbolize, in your opinion?

My answer - Personally, I believe that Mal's appearances in Cobb's dreams symbolize the guilt he still has after not being able to convince her to see that their dream world wasn't reality. When Adriadne goes into Cobb's dream (once their other teammates go home), she is able to see what kind of dreams/memories Cobb won't let go off. Mal constantly tries to convince Cobb to stay with her in the dream world, and it isn't until Cobb realizes his wife isn't real when he finally is able to let go of the need to see her again and finally go back home to his children.  

APRIL 27 - MAY 1 QUESTION ~ Would you give up the ability to dream normally if it meant that you could share dreams like they do in this film? Why or why not?

My answer - When it comes to this question, I think that I'm in the middle. On one hand, it would be pretty amazing to be able to share dreams with either my friends or family. But at the same time, I feel as though it might be dangerous because some government agent might find out I have the ability to dream however I please and might try to insert a certain idea into my head (not that that would happen, but it probably could). Plus, one fun thing my family always does is share how weird and bizarre our dreams from the previous night were. And if we were able to just dream whatever we wanted, I feel like I'd miss our short and sweet conversations. Overall, I feel like there's pros and cons for being able to share dreams with the people closest to you.

Comments