Blogpost 2/13

         Last week, I decided to focus on the structure of screenplays and how to thoroughly write and develop a story through the act of screenwriting. In my last blogpost, I implemented a few videos that highlighted the importance of structuring a good script and how to use plots to one's advantage. This week, however, I wanted to go even further into screenplay and look into its history throughout time. Film has been a large part of American culture for decades, and, obviously, the stories behind cinema were written through screenplays, then developed for the silver screen. Therefore, in order to get the full story as to how screenplays progressed from what they used to be to what they are now, I needed to do a bit of research over the topic at hand: the history of screenplays.


The History of Screenwriting

        Going into the research, I wanted to make sure I understood exactly what I was looking for. And so, on a website I found that entirely describes the beginning of scriptwriting, then details the first few short films that'd be based off of a fully-written screenplay, I learned the basis history of the creation of scriptwriting. The website details that "the concept of the screenplay, its use and its function, has constantly evolved since the beginning of film". It then goes into how scripts were first inspired by those who wrote for theatrical performances only, and how as film became more popular over time, scripts became more prominent for people to use for various creative works.


    Inspiration I -

        A Trip to the Moon, a short film by George Melies, is considered to incorporate an example of modern script writing. I wanted to read the screenplay for myself, so I found a website that provided the entire, fully-written script.

the original short film from 1902

parts 1, 2, & 3 of the script


    Inspiration II -
        
        Filmmaker IQ is a YouTube channel Mr. Bomboy had shown to my class back in Film I. The host of the channel, John P. Hess, usually goes into extreme detail surrounding anything to do with filmmaking, from techniques to the various histories that lay beneath the inspiration for film and media. Because I was researching the history behind screenwriting, I picked the video in which John describes the 'origin and formatting of modern screenplays' (as is the title). In the beginning of the video, John details that scripts used to be referred to as 'scenarios', which used to only consist of a simple description that a film would be based off of. He then illustrates the structure and elements in which modern scripts include: 1) Scene Heading, 2) Action, 3) Character, 4) Parenthetical, 5) Dialogue, and 6) Transition. The site that I use when writing scripts, Celtx, encompasses these elements and makes it very simple and easy to structure my screenplays.



    Work Log -

Monday - researched history/worked on blog

Tuesday - researched history/worked on blog

Wednesday - worked on screenplay

Thursday - worked on screenplay

Friday - worked on blog
.
.
.
.
History of Screenplays - https://thescriptlab.com/features/screenwriting-101/3147-the-history-of-the-screenplay/

A Trip to the Moon script - http://www.aellea.com/script/triptomoon.html

Comments