Blogpost 2/6

     As said in my Marking Period 2 Reflection blogpost, after a few days of contemplation, I'd decided I wanted to switch my focus in this class to writing scripts instead of making films. Though I still admire the art and time that goes into creating short films, I found myself enjoying the overall process less and less each time it came to turn in another blogpost. Previously stated in my reflection blogpost from last week, I've always adored writing my own stories and constructing the backgrounds and personalities of various characters displayed in my works; therefore, I feel changing my focus was the right move to make.

Regarding the script-writing process, I've already written plenty in my time being in this class, but I also wanted to focus on the structure of screenplays and the planning that goes into creating them. Therefore, in order to do that, I went to YouTube to search up any videos that I thought would meticulously enlighten me on 1) the overall structuring of screenplays, 2) turning a story into a screenplay, and 3) how to thoroughly write a good scene. The three videos I used were from YouTube creators D4Darious, Anna Akana, and Tyler Mowery.

    Inspiration -


        In Darious's video, he highlights the importance of using plot structures when writing scripts for film and media. Darious describes plot structures as "the elements that compose a story", then goes into detailing the five important aspects used when structuring: Setup, Inciting Incident, Rising Action, Climax, and the Resolution.



        In Anna's video, she begins by explaining how to begin writing a script and how to convert a story into one. Anna advises that the best way to begin writing a screenplay is to elaborate on the basis idea and go off from that. She also suggests that if a writer develops writer's block that they can concentrate on one scene they know they want to have in their film/form of media and write the entirety of that out instead of focusing on the events that lead up to that certain scene.



        I've used a few of Tyler's videos before in previous blogposts, and I've always found them to be the most enlightening. In this video, Tyler has his audience focus on how to correctly write a scene and how said scene will affect the rest of the story presented. He goes into much detail about how important it is for a script's first writing to be as brief as possible, then highlights the significance of the rewrite conveying more detail and elements that assist in moving the story along. Tyler also highlights simple questions like "what do the characters in the scene want to accomplish?" that either make or break a specific scene, and this can aid a writer in making sure their story and characters are set up correctly.


       Brainstorming -
            Because I am planning on converting my friend's story into a screenplay, I believe the aspects I should concentrate the most on are using plot structures and focusing on how the specific scene in my script will progress the story along. I will also make sure to speak with my friend about her initial intentions for her characters and how she wants the scene to affect both the characters and the narrative as a whole.


Work Log

Monday - researched film structure/writing screenplays

Tuesday - researched film structure/writing screenplays

Wednesday - researched film structure/writing screenplays

Thursday - researched film structure/writing screenplays/worked on blogpost

Friday - finished blogpost

Comments