Theme and Concept Blogpost

Throughout the many themes and concepts developed within film that we have discussed in class, a few came to mind as we described how such themes and concepts can better a story's construct and how an audience feels while the story unfolds before their eyes. While many of the concepts discussed interested me in a historical sense, the ones I decided I wanted to help bring to life were 'The Arts of Daily Life', 'The Sacred Realm', and 'Invention and Fantasy'. While the films I create this year may not include all three concepts in them, I would like to try (to the best of my ability) to incorporate the elements of each said concepts into my work.

montage of different coming of age stories

The theme I would mainly like to work with is 'coming of age', since I can relate very prevalently to the concepts explored within this theme. From the reality of having to go to school to the over-dramatization of dilemmas between friends, many films dive into the concept of growing up and self-realization. I've always been intrigued by the idea of analyzing and explaining why teenagers feel the way that they do, whether said feeling is depressing or content. This kind of exploration can be found within the concepts of 'The Arts of Daily Life', which many film-makers and writers use when discussing the issues that many people face everyday. And while the other two concepts I have chosen to expand upon don't necessarily include "relatable" factors within them, I would like to include their elements of unrealistic happenings to stories that seem as though they were pulled straight from a teenager's lips.


Ever since I can remember, I’ve always been interested in the behind the scenes of how films and television are created. From the basis of coming up with a structured idea to finalizing how the project will look once it’s shown to an audience, these aspects of film-making can easily display the specific message or theme the film, show, or animation is trying to convey. Therefore, I have chosen to continue working with film for my projects this year. I’ve gathered much information over the two school years I’ve been in this class for and I would like to advance my knowledge and my creative skill within the art of film-making. I plan on using the concepts of ‘The Arts of Daily Life’, ‘The Sacred Realm’, and ‘Invention and Fantasy’ to create stories within my films that capture an audience in a very mystical way. I’ve always loved movies having to do with magic and unrealistic circumstances, so I’m especially excited to be able to put my own twist on certain otherworldly-seeming events.



an artist's vision of 'the angel realm'


I would like the atmosphere of my films
to feel similar to this forest; serene and mystical


To close up my final thoughts, I’d like to expand upon my ideas for this year. I don’t just want to create films that people enjoy. I’d like for people to remember my films, and not just for what they displayed on screen, but the story, the characters, the settings, the camera work, the acting, the wardrobe, etc. Film-making isn’t about putting something together just to show to an audience; It’s about producing something that you yourself are proud of, something that you can look back on and think “Wow, I did this. I created this piece of art. Me.” And that is why I would like to continue my journey through the art of filmmaking.



example of a mix of 'the arts of daily life' and 'fantasy'; Max, the main character,
is a high school student who discovers she has the power to reverse time
(game: Life Is Strange)
(warning: this scene contains foul language and heavy violence)

Comments