Blogpost 3/6

    This week for my blog investigation, I wanted to dive into the world that is of a professional screenwriter's. Last week, I researched who would be considered three of the most influential screenwriters of all time, that being Billy Wilder, Quentin Tarantino, and Charlie Kaufman. Since these three men have dedicated their lives to writing/producing movies, and have heavily inspired various individuals through their works of fiction, it got me wondering about where they started from and how they became such famous house-hold names. Obviously, each of their works brought new inspiration to the world of film-making and script-writing, not to mention presented new ideas to what films can truly embody, but I wanted to start at square 1: How do screenplays get made into major motion picture movies?

    I've discussed many times before how I've always enjoyed the art of creative writing and producing my own story, and I've also noted how uninterested I became through the process of my pre-production for my second film of the year. Last year, in Film II, was the first time I'd ever had to write a script for any time of media work I've done before, and I thoroughly enjoyed my imagination being able to be poured into a script of my own doing. I've certainly improved on my screen-writing skills, as I've taken inspiration from the many sources I included in previous blogposts, but I sometimes wonder that if I wanted to continue in this artform and write scripts for major motion pictures one day, or even for an indie film, what would the process of becoming an infamous screenwriter even look like?


The Process of Becoming a Screenwriter

            Write a Screenplay - I've read from a few distinct sources that the most important part of the process of becoming a screenwriter is the very beginning. From the source I'm using, it notes that the first thing any amateur writer should do is focus on writing their script and develop the best story they can. Most screenplays that become movies seem to have unique elements in them or have been adapted from books or graphic novels that have a popular fanbase. I think the best thing I could do as a writer is to stick within my element of creating stories with either 1) mystical beings (such as vampires, fairies, etc.) or 2) realistic characters that are heavily relatable to real life. For each of the scripts I've written for school, I stuck with this route and I think it could really assist me in the future if this is the career path I'd like to follow.


                Get an Agent or Manager - Having an agent represent you and your script is a very important step in the screen-writing process, as your agent/manager is pretty much the only link you would have to the film-making industry. The steps to obtaining a manager seem to be easier than acquiring an agent. As the website notes, a manager can further improve a script to its fullest potential, whereas agents are more so used when dealing with those of higher power in the industry - directors, producers, film studios, etc. Either an agent or a manager can be of assistance to the beginning of a career in screenwriting, and I find it quite interesting how connected some agents/managers can truly be to those who make the final decision if a screenplay gets turned into a motion picture movie.


                Pitching the Finalized Idea to a Producer - As previously stated, an agent or manager is pretty much the only person who can hook a writer up with a production team. But in order to finalize the plans of a screenplay, a screen-writer must meet and pitch their overarching idea to a producer. A producer's main role is to find and launch a project into production, which means hiring actors, getting a director, and finding a screen-writer, which in this case would be essential. Pitching a finalized screenplay should consist of a few dire things: knowing what to say and being prepared to negotiate terms. If a film studio loves the theme or idea of your screenplay, they will offer to buy it off of you and then your dreams can become a true reality. But as they website says, even if your screenplay does get chosen to be developed into a full motion picture, you should continue writing and getting your ideas out to other people of the same industry.


    So, as terrifying as potentially being turned down by a major film studio may sound to anyone interested in pursuing their dreams as a screenwriter, it's always the best decision for anybody wanting to become something greater in this world to continue in their art and persevere through the hardships that one may come across. Because in reality, the film industry is nothing without the creative hands that produce the media we as a nation consume every single day.


    Work log -

Monday - worked on script

Tuesday - worked on script

Wednesday - worked on script

Thursday - worked on blogpost/script

Friday - worked on blogpost


website I used: https://freshmenscreenplay.com/how-screenplays-become-movies/#:~:text=A%20production%20company%20obtains%20the,before%20it%20became%20a%20movie

Comments